10.26.2009
The Story of James Michael Lamoureux
Monday, October 19th I woke up at about 6:45am to my water breaking. So I woke up Mike and we quickly grabbed a few things and Mike took a 15min. shower that he will never live down! Then we were off to American Fork Hospital. I was still only dilated to a 1 so the immediately put me on Pitocin. I was not a fan of that idea because I was planning on going natural and I did not need anything else to make my contractions more intense but the doctor knows best. So they started it about 45 min after I was admitted. I handled the contractions until about 1pm but with them upping my pitocin I started to loose it. My contractions were so close and so intense that I wasn't sure where I would ever get the energy to push this baby out when it was time. So at that point the nurse checked me and told me I was only at a strong 3 centimeters dilated and since the baby's heart rate was good they were going to up my pitocin again. I was feeling a little discouraged so I asked Mike what he thought about me getting an epidural. Before he could answer, I had a doosy of a contraction and was yelling that I didn't care I wanted an epidural right away. Before Mike could even take in the situation, my best friend Ashley was out the door getting the Anesthesiologist. I was so lucky that he was actually right outside the door and came in immediately. He did a great job. I didn't feel a thing when he was inserting the epidural. Within about 10 minutes I had complete relief! By 7pm I was dilated to a 10 but had to wait to push for a little bit because there were 13 women in labor at the same time and 3 of them were ready to push at the same time I was. Since they were all on baby number 3 and 4 they got to go first because the would be faster. So the nurse came in and started having me push. It was the most intense experience that Mike and I had ever had together. He was the best coach ever. I could not have asked for more. He was so loving, sweet and helpful. I could not have imagined going through that with anyone else by my side. Like I mentioned in my other post, I pushed for two and a half hours. While I was pushing I spiked a fever which gave both James and I an infection. Not to mention I kept throwing up. And on top of all that he had the cord wrapped around his neck. I obviously couldn't see what was going on but Mike said that the doctor was amazing at getting James out and getting the cord off his neck. At this point I still had no clue that there was anything wrong. I thought it was weird that there were so many nurses in my room but this was my first baby so I didn't know what was normal. They cleaned him up quick and then let me hold him for about a minute (if it was even that long). Then they rushed him off to the NICU (intensive care unit for babies). He was born at 10:06pm and I didn't get to see him until about 1am. That was such a sweet moment. It was just Me, Mike and James. It was so nice to have some time as a family. I can't even put into words what that moment was like. My world could not be more perfect. That night they started both of us on a bunch of antibiotics and fluids. On Thursday morning we finally got to go home. What an experience! As hard as it all was I would do it again and again...and I will! I could not imagine feeling so much love for someone I just met. I also did not know how this experience would bond Mike and I so close together. I feel closer to him than anyone in the world. He truly is my best friend and the love of my life. James is such a blessing to our little family. We love having him around!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Steph what a sweet story!!! The love you feel is incredible isn't it?! You really can't describe it. Even then, I doubt they'll understand fully unless they have a child of their own. It's just such a different intense feeling. Really an incredible thing.
Well I think that we're pretty much at the tail end of sickness... just some lingering coughs. So hopefully next week we we'll be 100% and could stop by sometime if you feel up to visitors :)
he is precious! so cute! congratulations!!! ][m b hgj n5trb5 .....violet's a little obsessed i think. that message is from her.
thanks for writing down the whole birth story. those are always so nice to read! I'm so happy for you guys, and I hope James is being a joyful and well behaved little new born :) glad you guys came out of the experience healthy and that james didnt have to stay in the nicu for too long! I'm thinking of you guys, hoping you are surviving the wonderful/tiring/exhausting/fabulous experience of those first weeks with your babe.
Post a Comment